Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tripping Billies

He has made everything beautiful in its time.  He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.  I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.  That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil-this is the gift of God.  I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it.  (Ecclesiastes 3:10-14)


The words from the classic DMB song, "Tripping Billies" always makes me recall the above passage from Ecclesiastes.  Dave sings "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die" in the chorus of the song.  In college, I can't say that I didn't live by those very words, but as I have aged and settled down, I can help but to yearn for more.

Sadly, many people have a skewed view of God and feel that they would be missing out if they were to surrender and believe.  The fact of the matter is that God wants us to enjoy life.  When we have the proper perspective, we discover that real pleasure comes enjoying whatever we have as gifts from God and not just in the material things we accumulate here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment