Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blinded By The Light

You are the light of the world.  A city located on a hill cannot be hidden.  People do not light a lamp and put it under a basket but on a lamp stand, and it gives light to all in the house.  (Matthew 5:14-15)

Fair or not, people who do not yet know or who are not in a relationship with Christ hold Christians to higher standards.  If my lifestyle is drastically different throughout the week than when I walk through the doors of the church, it's only a matter of time before I am discovered to be a fraud and labeled a "hypocrite." 

We just experienced a difficult situation in our marriage when I attempted to purchase SEC Championship tickets from a seller on eBay.  Everything turned out to be a scam and I lost a great sum of money not to mention that my wife was as mad at me as she has ever been in our five years of marriage.  I was convinced that the way we dealt with this situation needed to be different because Christ's light should shine brightly in our marriage despite our circumstances. 

Whether we are with our family, friends, or co-workers, we need to "shine" in such a way that others take notice. When others see us live our lives in service to God, the glory goes to Him and people on the outside begin to be interested in what makes a follower of Christ different.   

We as Believers are here to be a reflection of the Lord that we serve. Regardless of what happens to us in this lifetime, we are to shine brightly like a city on a hill, realizing that we are nothing without God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment