Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dreams

Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart rejoiced in all my labor; and this was my reward from all my labor. Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all there was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 2:10-11)

Is the American dream not to do your very best and surpass the success of your parents? I feel like I have tried to do my very best professionally, but life in sales is rewarding when it is going well and stressful when you are not selling. I could attend many after-hours events to socialize with potential clients and customers, but I would be missing out on time spent with family. Is it a paradox to be a great salesman and Christian at the same time?

Solomon, the wise king of Israel, wrote the words above when he reached the highest level of success because he still felt empty. What is it that you are focused on? Is it the things in life the world tells you to pursue or is it the things in life that really matter?

I have heard this before and the same holds true for what we focus on: if you chase two rabbits at the same time, both will escape.

Focus on the things that will reap Heavenly rewards and be blessed in this lifetime and the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment