Thursday, December 9, 2010

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Don't be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask Him!  (Matthew 6:8)
 
I shared a laugh with my mother last week as we reminisced about Christmases from my childhood.  I was the type of child that would start devising my Christmas wish list in early January and would continue to drop subtle (and not so subtle) hints to my parents for almost 364 days of the year leading up to Christmas. My mom found it humorous that Toys R Us now has an interactive Christmas wish list available for the iPad and how our son had literally checked off every toy and action figure in the boys section.  I guess the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.  I can't help but feel like I am hearing how I must have sounded to my parents when asks for a particular toy, and he normally follows up with "but, I need it, Daddy." 
 
God promises to supply all of our needs, but not our wants.  We will never be content if we focus on our wants because we will always want more.  The more we focus on the things that God values, the less we focus on our wants and the more content we become.  
 
If you never feel content, step back and focus on God;  He already knows what you need!

No comments:

Post a Comment