Sunday, December 19, 2010

I'll Stand By You (4th Sunday of Advent)

Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. (Matthew 1:19-20)

I can just imagine what my reaction would have been if prior to our wedding day, Alicia had told me that she was pregnant with someone else's child. Would I have been angry, hurt, and betrayed? Absolutely! Would I have decided to love her regardless and gone through with the wedding and parent a child that was not my own? I don't think so...

Joseph's character was revealed in his decision to stay with Mary and proceed with marrying her regardless of the fact she was carrying a baby that was not his. Had the angel not provided some additional information to him, such as the baby was conceived by the Holy Spirit, we may not know the Christmas story the way we know it today.

As a husband and father, Joesph's character helps to provide inspiration of how to love and support my family. His trust of God was as steady as anyone in the Bible. No matter how confused, scared or angry Joseph might have been, he stood by Mary and became Jesus' earthly father.

No comments:

Post a Comment