Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Power of ONE

Jesus said, "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)
 
This morning as I reflected on some of my recent conversations with friends, I realized that I was full of anger for some strange reason. I am not angry towards my friends, but I have allowed myself to be enraged by listening to sports talk radio for the majority of this college football season.  It's one thing to listen to predictions about the week's games, but another to let it dominate your every thought and disrupt your overall happiness.  I have always been and always will be more partial to music than talk radio.  When the college football season comes around, I take a little break from listening to music and tune in to listen to what the experts have to say about my favorite team.  The past few weeks have been brutal to stomach and it's similar to how I felt listening to political talk a few years ago during the last presidential election.  For much of the same reason, I was engulfed in political debates with my friends and family and was many times quick to anger and judge.  I have made the conscious effort to turn off the sports talk and get back to listening to music again. 
 
People don't need to hear my slanted opinions and I can't imagine anyone wanting to listen to an angry and rabid fan of any college team.  What this world needs to see and hear from believers is people loving one another, business people working with integrity and honor, and people being at peace with one another and not speaking sharp words.  We all have the power of the One who displayed those qualities regardless of who He was speaking to.  As I mature and grow in my walk of faith, I am coming to terms with realizing that my words and deeds will impact someone much more than quoting Scripture or rehashing a great sermon that I have heard.
 
In order to do so, we must look inward and be more obedient to God's will for our lives.  When I fail to do so, we reject the work of the Holy Spirit and succumb to the ways of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment