Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Teach Your Children

My son, don't despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent His rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those He loves as a father the son he delights in. (Proverbs 3:11-12)


Discipline is certainly not a popular word. I don't enjoy being disciplined any more than our three year old son does. Most of the time his temper tantrums are pretty humorous; he wants orange juice instead of milk, he wants a particular race car instead of the ones he is playing with, he doesn't want to come in for the night and would rather stay across the street with our neighbor's children, when it's time to come in for the night...

I was a pretty troublesome child and raised hell most of my life.  I always joke that I caused my father's hair to grey when I reached the 5th grade and sometimes when I ponder all that I did, it's probably true!!  I never understood my father's discipline until I became a father.  Looking back, I was disciplined out of love.

Even though I am much older, there are times that our Father lovingly disciplines me.  The word discipline means "to teach and to train."  It sounds negative because the word "discipline" is often associated with someone who is not loving.  God doesn't punish us to be cruel and because He enjoys seeing us in pain, but because He loves us and wants us to grow knowing the difference between right and wrong.  In order to be morally strong and good,  His loving discipline enables us to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment