Friday, September 24, 2010

My Father's Eyes

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish will give him a snake instead?  Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?  If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" -Jesus (Luke 11:11)

Our oldest son, Elliott, woke us up early this morning around 3am.  When I went into his room to check on him, he kept asking me to play with him.  I told him that I would be glad to play with him when it was time to wake up and ended up spending the rest of my night/morning in his room.

It wasn't until I was on my morning jog that it dawned on me why he was asking me to play with him at such an unusual time of night.  You see, last night after dinner, several of the neighbors got together outside and were throwing the football around while the kids played.  The more I thought about it, I realized that Elliott wanted me to play with him and I was having so much fun throwing the old pigskin that I didn't even realize it.  It hurt me to know that I had let Elliott down.

Even though good fathers make mistakes, we are to always treat our children well.  How much better does our Heavenly Father treat His children?  Not only does our Father treat His children well, He also gives us the most important gifts He could ever give us: the Holy Spirit, His Son's resurrection, and eternal life in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment