Thursday, September 23, 2010

Security

Now then, listen, you wanton creature, lounging in your security and saying to yourself, "I am, and there is none besides me..."  (Isaiah 47:8) 


I enjoy running in the mornings for many reasons; not only do I get a little exercise before work, but I also get to spend some time alone with God.  Many mornings when I stick around the neighborhood, I talk to many neighbors and friends on their way to work or school.  This morning I was blessed to have a great conversation with one of the several construction workers that is building a house nearby.

He mentioned to me how much he truly enjoyed what he did for a living and couldn't imagine doing anything else.  It made me think for a moment how self-centered I often am when I complain about having a bad day at the office.  What if I didn't have a job?  Or even worse, what if I was so consumed by my career that I was MIA at home and never spent time with my family?

Our society is addicted to pleasure and power and both of these can quickly pass away.  We need to look at our own life and ask how can we be more responsible with all that God has blessed us with.  Better yet, how can we use our life for God's honor rather than our own?

No comments:

Post a Comment