Monday, September 6, 2010

Leave A Tender Moment Alone

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.  (Romans 15:13)


Our newborn, Elijah, slept in our arms yesterday during worship services at Cokesbury which prompted many smiles and conversations with people we know.  One of the conversations I had was about how fast children grow up and how important it is to enjoy every moment before you turn around and your children are off to college.  I couldn't help but ponder, "am I too busy to enjoy the blessings that God has given me in everyday life?"  In a way, yes, my life is way too busy that I am missing out on some great things that God has blessed me with.  


Later yesterday afternoon, we went to a birthday party for our good friend's daughter who was turning four.  As you can imagine, it was pretty loud with children having a blast in the backyard, riding downhill on a 100 foot long "Slip 'n Slide."


My wife and I switched children for a moment, she took our oldest son, Elliott inside for birthday cake as I held Elijah while the party moved inside, leaving just the two of us sitting on a swing in the back yard.  What a blessing it was to watch the little guy sleep as the sun shined brightly, reminding me that the true blessing was just spending a few quiet moments alone holding my son while he slept peacefully.  


As you go about each day, slow down and look for God's blessings; they are all around you!



No comments:

Post a Comment