Thursday, September 30, 2010

Hello Hurricane

Jesus said to them (the disciples): "Take courage!  It is I.  Don't be afraid."  (Matthew 14:27)


The older I am, the more I realize that it is impossible to make it through this life without trials.  Then again, when I was a child, I didn't have the same responsibilities and circumstances that I do today.  Regardless, it is actually during trials that I realize God's goodness and the provision He always delivers, even on the darkest of days.

When the disciples were on a boat in the middle of the Sea of Galilee, they were petrified of the storm for good reason; many of them couldn't swim!  Yes, several of the disciples were fishermen, but in those days, they believed that evil spirits were cast into the deep waters.  Therefore, most of the fishing took place along the beach.  The above passage from Matthew provides a wonderful illustration of how God uses a storm to grow our faith.   Peter had enough faith to get out of the boat and walked across the water towards Jesus even if it were only for a few seconds.  Just as his faith wavered and he began to sink, he felt the arm of Jesus pulling him from below the waterline.

No one enjoys trials and tribulation; I certainly don't, but I often find myself reaching for God's hand now when I find myself in the middle of a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment