Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Contentment Blues

As servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love...(2 Corinthians 6:3-6)


All too often I let my circumstances determine my attitude. When everything is going smoothly, I feel good about myself; when it gets difficult, then my mood takes a turn for the worse.  I seem to have this ongoing internal conflict between my feelings and reliance upon God.  The apostle Paul was always content regardless of his situation.  Paul also firmly believed that his actions communicated his faith in Jesus Christ.

Contentment means accepting things the way they are and not wanting anything more or things to be different. This requires us to develop developing an "I can do anything through Christ" attitude. We must lean on God to strengthen our weaknesses so we can accept and adapt to changing circumstances.

We must be submissive to God no matter what the circumstances are and trust Him to oversee our specific situation.  When we believe that He is good and is working on His perfect plan for us, we experience true joy and contentment that only comes from our heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment