Monday, February 21, 2011

Nasty Habits

The Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  (Galatians 5:22-23)


We all have our addictions; there is no denying it.  Of all of the many substances and chemicals I have put into my body over my lifetime, nicotine has been the hardest for me to quit.  I smoked cigarettes for over ten years, primarily during college, and once Elliott was born, I eventually quit.  Unfortunately, I picked up an even nastier habit, smokeless tobacco.  I really want to quit at some point, but haven't given much of an effort if I am being perfectly honest with myself.

As humans, we are dangerously addicted to sin.  The only cure is to submit to the Holy Spirit.  Anything less is futile.  When you are following God's control, He replaces the dangerous and destructive things with  good things.

Make no excuses, God's transforming power is the only thing that can heal us of our addictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment