Tuesday, August 31, 2010

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. (Romans 13:7)

Yesterday afternoon, I was in an an office complex and struck up a conversation with the receptionist at the front desk. Just like anytime I meet someone for the first time, I made a conscious effort to put my best foot forward.

This made me recall a drastic contrast of difference during an argument I had with my wife where we literally had a knock-down, drag-out fight after dinner; nothing physical, of course, but plenty of damage was done with hurtful verbal insults.

How is it that we can be polite and courteous to complete strangers, but treat the people we love like dirt sometimes? Let's face it, being married can be difficult at times. When you have been together for a while and add children to the equation, it is even easier to become short-tempered and lose respect for your spouse in the heat of the moment.

I don't necessarily have an answer as I am struggling with this issue, but I know what God has revealed to me through His word...we must respect others if we expect the same in return.

1 comment:

  1. Will. Always get the last word in! It should be "I'm sorry" "your right" or "yes, dear" Remember God is doing a work in you and her.

    ReplyDelete