Saturday, August 14, 2010

You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" -Jesus Christ (Matthew 7:9 NIV)


If I had to be completely honest with myself, I struggle with allowing God to provide me what I "need" as opposed to what I really "want", even if I know the things I want are not necessarily "good" for me.

I am often as persistent with my prayer requests for the things I want like I was when I was a child and began my Christmas toy wish list at the beginning of the summer and drove my parents crazy for the next following months.

A few months ago, I lost an account at work that I had worked hard on and felt somewhat hurt and betrayed; initially I was a little angry with God because I "wanted" to retain this client. It didn't seem like it at the time, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because this freed up my time to work with a new prospect that eventually became a new client and turned out to be a much better fit!

God knows the times that we are praying for "snakes" and does not give us what we ask for, even though we persist in our prayers.  The closer we grow in our relationship with God, the more we began to ask for things that are good for us and He grants us our petitions and requests.

God is a loving Father and we don't have to beg or grovel as we come to Him with our requests. Thanks be to God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment