Friday, August 27, 2010

Head Over Heels

Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips. (Proverbs 27:2 NIV)

I have waited for many years to see the group Tears for Fears perform live in concert.  Last night, they played outdoors under a full moon at Chastain Park in Atlanta and my wish finally came true.  (Trust me when I say that they were one of the most underrated bands of the 1980s!!!)  

Something spectacular took place during the end of the show when they played their hit singles from 1985, "Head Over Heels."  The crowd at Chastain Park almost over-powered the band with a sing-along during the song and clearly overwhelmed Roland Orzabel and Curt Smith.  What a compliment to have a couple of thousand people sing every word of a song almost 25 years later!

It reminded me of the verse in Proverbs that says "to let another praise you and not to let it come from your own mouth."  This is something that I have struggled with for most of my life.  I feel like I am the kind of person that tends to brag about things I have done and even praise my own actions.  We must be humbled and do good things and the best kind of praise often comes when you least expect it!

No comments:

Post a Comment