Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome!

I have never thought of myself as a 'blogger" and never intended to go to the trouble to set one up or even read one, for that matter.

I was a long time hold out to set up a Facebook account and finally logged in for the first time last summer.   Turns out that Facebook is a cool way to catch up with old friends and stay connected with many different people. The thing that I never understood were the silly posts such as "I am going to Wal-Mart" or "My favorite color is purple" and I guess that was one of the aspects of Facebook that I found to be quite amusing. I used to give my wife such a hard time about the countless hours she would spend in front of our computer looking a people's photos, videos, and reading her friend's posts.  It was one of those moments that I suppose a light bulb came on for me...why not post something a little more meaningful?

Several months ago, I began posting the various scripture that I had read during my morning coffee.  Eventually, with some encouragement from my friends, I started to add a little more until the posts on Facebook became more personal and I began to open up about my triumphs and struggles, in greater depth.  As fate would have it, I typed so much each morning that I would often have to shorten my posts to keep things under the 420 character maximum that Facebook allows.

I asked around and found this site which essentially allows me to make one post each day and then share it on both Facebook and Twitter, with the simple push of a button.  With my recently purchased iPad, I will have even more freedom to write and share my experiences with anyone who is interested.

We are all in this together and I figure that if there is something I am struggling with, chances are there is someone else out there that is going through or has been through the same thing. The same holds true for times of joy, and times that I feel alone or scared, etc. etc.

In the book of Proverbs 27:17, it reads: "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." I understand that to mean that the meeting of minds can help people see their ideas with new clarity, refine them, and shape them into brilliant insights.  And on that note, I am now officially a "blogger."

No comments:

Post a Comment