Friday, March 18, 2011

Teacher

My child, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for they will provide a long and full life, and they will add well-being to you.  Do not let truth and mercy leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:1-3)
 
Do you remember the one teacher that left the greatest impression on you as a child?  I was so blessed to have one of the greatest high school English teachers on the planet, Bianca Freeman.  I excelled in language arts and her class was one that challenged me, even over classes I dreaded the most in high school, like algebra and geometry.  The thing about it was that I never earned anything above a C during my four years of college preparatory English.  I was the Editor-In-Chief of the school newspaper and was an "average" student.  At one point, I approached her about my grades and even found the courage to ask why I never earned a grade higher than a "C."  Her response was that I was an extremely talented writer, but I was just plain lazy.  The truth hurts, but she was right on and had me pegged.  I have never forgotten that day and it has carried into my adult life.  Every project, Blog, posting, email, or text I have composed since high school has carried Mrs.. Freeman's mark.  I aced my business writing course at Auburn University...a solid "A."  My emails at work are well-crafted, effective and I will be hard pressed to ever hit "send" on an email that contains poor grammar or misspelled words. 
 
Much like I have never forgotten the teachings of my favorite high school English teacher, I try to take time out of each day to meditate on God's Word.  Sure, there are plenty of times that I read hastily or just skim through a devotional in the morning, but I have remained faithful to my commitment to learn and read at least some Scripture every single day.  We can't just show up to church once a week and hear a good sermon and expect to fully understand all of God's truths.  We must take the time to invest in Him and the Bible is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment