Friday, March 25, 2011

All I Want Is You

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind." 
-Jesus Christ (Matthew 22:37)

I read a wonderful Charles Stanley devotion yesterday that made me feel somewhat convicted about my own attitude.  This past football season was unreal for the Auburn family.  I personally spent countless amounts of my free time listening to sports talk radio, loking at message boards like Bleacher Report and Auburn Undercover and all of my (and my family's) weekends were spent watching college football.  Auburn went on to win the BCS and for the first time in my life, my favorite team and alma mater were the National Champs! Looking back over the months during college football season, I continued to write my Daily DEVOs, taught Sunday School and attended worship regularly, but I can't recall how many times I actually dug deep into my Bible or even read it for that matter.  You see, I was going through the motions of serving God and what might have appeared to be faithful servanthood was nothing more than lip service.

My idol had become Auburn football for those few months.  It's not that sports, college football,  or even Auburn are bad things, but anything that we give a higher priority to over the Lord is.  When we place a higher value on other activities or relationships, our hearts to grow cold towards God.  Christ warned the Ephesians, who were distracted and complacent followers that were laboring for every reason but the right one, "What I want is not your empty service; I want you!" 

Whatever it is in your life that has taken priority over Christ's place in your heart needs to be put back in its proper place.  A place to start is by humbly seeking God's forgiveness through repentance.  Regularly praying and spending time in the Word are also ways to reignite your passion for Christ. 

"Dear Father, we love you for loving us first and not turning your back on us even when we put something else or someone else ahead of you.  Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment