Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Love Action

"If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.  If you love me, you will obey my commandments.  Then I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever-the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it does not see Him or know Him.  But you know Him, because He resides with you and will be in you."  -Jesus Christ (John 14:14-24)

Sometimes I think that luring a cat into a bathtub full of water would be an easier task to accomplish than having a three year old child behave.  It's funny how I can always barter with our son and promise him the reward of watching cartoons or getting a new toy if he is obedient.  Much like a child, I often feel convicted about falling short of Jesus' expectations of me.

I could write a million daily devotionals about loving God and my outwardly projected commitment may look good to others, but God knows the true motives of my heart.  We can go to church every time the doors are open, serve in ministry, go on mission trips, feed the homeless, teach Sunday school, and say all the right words, but the truth is that unless we are obediently following God's Word, we are only giving Him lukewarm devotion.

If we truly love God, we must stay grounded in His Word and actually follow His commands.  That last statement may sound harsh, but it's true.  Even if you are only reading one verse a day, make the time to meditate on His Word and stay faithful Him in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment