Sunday, June 23, 2024

It's A Real Good Thing

 

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.  He will not always accuse, nor will He harbor His anger forever; He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.  Psalm 103:8-10

Being the proud father of two wonderful and strong-willed sons, I have recently found myself having to be very patient and forgiving with our oldest, now a teenager, who is often times hot-tempered with me when it comes time to be disciplined. (Here's to hoping for a peaceful 8th grade, right)? 

Why is it so easy for us to say hurtful things to the people we love the most, especially our family? The more I reflect on the things Elliott has said to me out of anger, I am reminded of doing the same things in my youth to my father and can't help but be overwhelmed by how loving, forgiving, and slow to anger God is with me.  What if God actually gave us what we deserved?  What if God kept a list of our wrongdoings and we were repaid according to our sins?  Thankfully, the ultimate price has been paid for our sins and we will never have to experience God's wrath for our shortcomings and iniquities.

Just has God forgives us, we are to extend forgiveness to others who have hurt or wronged us.  It's not as easy as it seems, but it's the only way to mend and repair a broken relationship and move forward in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment