Saturday, June 8, 2024

Catch And Release

 

Now to him who by the power that is working within us is able to do far beyond all that we ask or think, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen  

Ephesians 3:20-21


Several years ago, the boys gave me a fishing pole for Father’s Day and I recalled taking Elliott and Elijah down to the creek in our neighborhood to try out my new gift.  Fishing is an activity that requires a good bit of patience and just sitting on the bank of the creek with my sons, provided me with some great father/sons bonding as well as another analogy about the control we try to maintain in our lives.

We used a frozen biscuit as bait and I honestly didn't expect to catch anything on our first fishing expedition together. Of course, with it being Father's Day, I certainly wanted to catch a fish and punch my "man-card."  We found a pretty deep spot in the neighborhood creek and could visibly see fish swimming.  To my surprise, I felt the fishing line tighten and actually caught a fish on my fourth attempt.  It was pretty cool, and the boys were pleased that we caught a fish, but it got me to thinking about how different the afternoon would have been if we never got a bite.

Our lives are much the same and often times we stress over things in which we have absolutely no control over.  We must learn to spend more of our precious time glorifying and enjoying our loving Father rather than trying to maintain the structure of our daily lives. 

When we keep our focus on God and allow him to prepare each day for us, we begin to enjoy living in the peace of His presence.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment