Saturday, May 7, 2011

People Are People

Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  (1 John 4:11)

This week has been exceptionally interesting following the President's announcement that Osama Bin Laden had been killed by a group of Navy Seals.  What started out as a proud moment for our country and the brave soldiers that have been his pursuit for over nine years, quickly turned into a heated and political debate on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. 

Despite my personal, religious, and political views, I realize and respect that other people hold different and opposing views than me. Too often, people feel that they only have to get along with people who are of similar belief, culture, nationality,race, gender, or income level. The truth is that God wants us to treat ALL others with the same mercy, kindness, forgiveness, civility, and compassion as Jesus did.  And what about good manners?  I am not sure if I am more in tune with what people say to each other now that I am 'plugged in', but where has common courtesy gone these days? 

I realize that I have a lot to learn and am not being self-righteous; I guess I just wonder why people can't get along more; we aren't living together as God intends us to....

No comments:

Post a Comment