Monday, June 4, 2012

With or Without Reason


“I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"  At this they picked up stones to stone Him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.  John 8: 58-59

The other day, I was attempting to make a point to our children and at a loss for words, uttered something completely ridiculous: "Because I said so."  Whoa, I have never heard that one before.  My children probably think I have lost my mind…which, maybe I have, but that’s neither here nor there.

When Jesus spoke the words above from John 8:58, He spoke one of the most radical and powerful statements of His lifetime.  He boldly proclaimed His divinity when He said that He existed before Abraham was born.  In addition to claiming that He was around before Abraham, He also applied God's holy name-"I am." 

Jesus' claim is one that demands a response and cannot be ignored.  The Jewish leaders attempted to stone Jesus for blasphemy, because He claimed equality with God.  Who do you say He is?  Is He truly God or just a great prophet that did nice things for other people? 

If I was not a believer, I would certainly question some of Jesus’ outrageous claims, but the truth is that Jesus is God, so how do you respond to His claims?  

No comments:

Post a Comment