Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Tribute to Dr. Steve Sallee


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

It's still all too surreal.  Three weeks ago, Cokesbury's Associate Pastor, Stephen DeFur, sent a message to the entire congregation notifying us that our Senior Pastor, Steve Sallee, was in the hospital due to a serious cardiac episode brought on by pneumonia.  Not fully grasping the severity of Steve's condition, I began to pray for his recovery alongside many other prayer warriors all over the world.  I clung to hope and just knew deep down inside that I would see Steve Sallee again.  On Thursday May 2nd, Dr. Steve Sallee passed away after an incredibly long and hard battle, but is now resting peacefully in his eternal home.  To say he was greatly loved and will be missed is an understatement...  

Steve Sallee was not just the Senior Pastor of Cokesbury United Methodist Church here in Knoxville- he was a man that I loved, admired, and will continue to honor in my personal walk of faith.  

I had the privilege of knowing him on a personal level and his impact on my life will never be forgotten.  He baptized our youngest son, Elijah, and was instrumental in encouraging me to answer God's call into ministry when our family moved to Knoxville and made Cokesbury our church home.  I will always treasure my service on the Pastor-Staff committee under Steve and being a part of Cokesbury's expansion into the Hardin Valley community in 2009.   


I have really struggled to find the appropriate words to write on my Daily DEVO to honor Steve Sallee.  In fact, there are so many powerful lessons I have learned from Steve over the years, I simply cannot do them any justice by writing them here.  I will say that Steve Sallee had a vision that was clearly evident to all that knew him and ingrained in the hearts of anyone who spent any amount of time at Cokesbury.  Steve's vision was simple-"to love people into a relationship with Jesus Christ to change the world."  He also had a heart to serve the least, the last, and the lost.  This was not lip service or just a saying-this vision guided Steve's actions, leadership, and the way he loved people from all walks of life.  

The last thing Steve ever said to me was earlier the same morning of what would sadly become the last sermon he ever preached at Cokesbury's West Campus.  I said "hello" to Steve and Lynda as they arrived at Hardin Valley Academy.  Steve responded with his usual warm smile and handshake and mentioned something to the effect of "We are in the ditch and just need to get back out of the ditch."  Lord knows that those words have never meant more to me now as I try to hold back tears.  As difficult as it is to temporarily say goodbye to Dr. Steve Sallee, I must continue to live out his legacy and vision here on this broken planet.  It's time to "get out of the ditch" and as Stephen DeFur encouraged everyone at Steve's beautiful Celebration of Life, "it's time for me to pick my chin up, stick out my chest out, and get my swag back!"  What better way for his legacy to live on??

No comments:

Post a Comment