Friday, December 21, 2012

Light of the World




Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. The Lord works out everything to its proper end—even the wicked for a day of disaster.
Proverbs 16:3-4

It has been one week since the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary School took place and I am still struggling to find the words to even begin writing about it.  Twenty beautiful and innocent children were brutally murdered along with six very brave and courageous adults in the small Newtown, CT school. 

This horrific day has absolutely broken my heart along with an entire nation that mourns.  While this sad and tragic loss of so many precious lives is beyond any realm of understanding, I will continue to offer my prayers, love, and support to all of the families, friends, and the people of the Newtown community who have been impacted by this unimaginable evil.

I typically take the our children to school in the mornings and my wife, Alicia, usually picks the boys up in the afternoons.  Since last Friday, I haven’t been in my normal frantic rush to get the boys fed and dressed, out of the house, and to make it to work.  All of the usual bickering and resistance that I am normally greeted with each and every morning has been actually quite welcomed this week. 

This tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary has made me appreciate every single moment that I have with my family and with my friends.  I can’t help but look at our children and feel so blessed that I have been given just one more day to spend with them by the good Lord above. 

Our time on this earth is short, fleeting, and precious.  All of the bickering about gun control, mental illness, violent video games, the posting of the Ten Commandments, etc. will not change the fact that true evil exists in this broken world. 

With all of the darkness around us, we all need to be reminded that of what Jesus said: “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.” Jesus is the light for this dark world, especially during Christmas and every day in between.  

Jesus also gave us this encouraging promise from the Gospel of John: “I am the light of the world: he who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

Man may not have the answer for light in this dark world, but God certainly does.  What this world needs now more than anything is more light, less darkness and more love, less evil.   

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

No comments:

Post a Comment