Friday, September 7, 2012

Teach Your Children


But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.  1 Peter 2:9

Whenever my son asks me “where do you work?" or "what do you do?” my standard reply is that I sell insurance.

Being a father has certainly made me understand the importance of the message I communicate to our children.  For instance, I knew that my father was in the army reserve when I was a young child, but I could barely articulate that he was a human resources manager for a textile manufacturer when asked what he did to earn a living.  Regardless, I knew that he loved me and my little sister and was a stricter disciplinarian than my mother was.  I knew that he wanted the best for us and worked hard to provide for our family.  I knew that he wanted us to be in church on Sundays and valued sitting down at the table to enjoy meals every night after he came home from work.

You see, everything we do or say teaches our children about our priorities, beliefs, and passions.  Knowing this we must not allow ourselves to become too busy with the demands of our occupations or other priorities as we will surely send the wrong message to our children.

What are you communicating to your children?  Do they know that you have a heart for God’s direction in your life?  Do they know that you are in a relationship with Christ by the example you lead?

We have an incredible responsibility as parents!  Wise parents will always seek God’s counsel in raising their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment