Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Real Good Thing


The Lord is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love…The Lord is righteous in everything He does; He is filled with kindness. Psalm 145: 8, 17

Growing up, when I earned good grades on my report card, my parents often gave me some sort of reward.  At work, I am rewarded with a bonus if my efforts exceed my employers’ expectation.  This mindset is often misunderstood as it pertains to our salvation and the free gift of God’s grace.

First of all, there was only One, Jesus Christ, who never sinned and lived a perfect life.  For the rest of us, at some point, we have all fallen short of God’s glory and have sinned, so thankfully our salvation does not depend on our limited and inadequate self-righteousness.

Jesus’ death and resurrection broke our bondage and slavery to sin, so there is nothing we can possibly do on our own to reconcile ourselves to God.  Thankfully we don’t get what we deserve and it’s a real good thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment