Wednesday, August 30, 2023

St. Judy's Comet

 

"Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching." Proverbs 1:8

Our youngest son, Elijah, is the master of prolonging our family's nightly process of going to bed.   In his eleven years, we have heard a litany of reasons; tummy-aches, hungry, bad dreams, spiders, the clown from 'IT' to simply just needing to go to the bathroom for the hundredth time. The other night, around 10:30 PM,  I heard footsteps in the boys' hallway. When I finally went to check on the situation, I caught Elijah playing his PlayStation after curfew.  He was somewhat embarrassed that I caught him sneaking around after we had put him to bed for the night, so I sat down on the edge of his bed and just talked with him.  When asked what he was still doing up, He simply replied, “I can't fall asleep; I am not tired.”  In a calm manner, I suggested that he get back into bed so that his mom didn't hear him and he finally fell asleep a few moments later.    

Just like any child has trouble understanding the importance of a good night’s rest, we too are in constant battle with God for control over our lives.  And being a loving parent, God is always communicating with us and for us to hear what He is trying to tell us, we must seek Him above all else in our lives.

You see, anything we pursue without talking to God about first, will most likely be in vein.  We must allow the Light of His Presence shine on all of our pursuits so that we can receive His help for the plans He has made for us or allow Him to change the desires of our hearts.

If we seek Him first and foremost, the rest of our lives will fall into place!  


No comments:

Post a Comment